Friday, November 16, 2007

WikiWiki

We've tried several Wikis at APL, using pbwiki. We have one for developing collection plans, one for our periodical committee, an overall one started by Admin for communication and policy development, and several of our taskforces have used wikis to work on documents of various sorts collaboratively. In general, some people pick up the techniques easier than others, and the wikis have met variable success.

I use a wiki for collaboration with other members of an organization I belong to called the Torch Club. We are hosting a convention here in 2009 of the International Torch Club and we're using the Wiki to plan to agenda for that conference. In truth, most of the members are sort of technophobic, so I'm doing most of the editing. But I'm using it as a documentation tool mostly, and it is useful for that purpose.

I'm really enthused to discover the Davis, CA community wiki! About 13 years ago, we had a vision for the organization called Fox Cities Online (FOCOL) that was very much like what Davis has done with this wiki. We didn't find the right technology back then, and FOCOL has developed into a community directory and non-profit web hosting service. It is quite successful, but I intend to show the board the Davis wiki and begin a discussion of incorporating something like it into our site.

For purposes of documenting completion of the assignments: There already was a link to the Appleton Public Library on the Wikipedia entry for Appleton - I think Terry Dawson put it there a couple of years ago. And I added my name to the "I've been here" list on the Project Play sandbox wiki.

1 comment:

Terry Dawson said...

Thanks for pointing this out. It's really interesting and pretty nifty. The FOCOL Board should definitely consider!