Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Week 3 Semester 2 - Jott and Remember the Milk

Well, I just don't know about these. They seem too "cute" to be very useful. I do use lists, but tend to do them on paper for very immediate, what do I have to accomplish this afternoon sorts of things. I can see how these tools can be integrated into other things, and wonder if Google may become the manager of my life some day, but for right now it is easier for me to use the well integrated workgroup software we have with Outlook for most things.

That may be the key to some of this: if you are on a well organized network, and most of your collaborations are done among people also on that network, then the tools there will be of more value to you. But if you work with people who are otherwise unconnected, and need to communicate and share tasks, etc. with people in many different places and on different networks, then these web based tools are great.

And I use my cell phone so little that I don't know if I would find Jott very useful at all. Again, maybe in the future...

Another pet peeve (or unfullfilled need) is that I'm getting tired of remembering all of the usernames and passwords that I have for these services. Some can be re-used of course, but it always seems that each service has its own requirements and/or already taken names. Trying to remember which variation I used on this or that service makes the use much less convenient than it should be. I would welcome the advice of others on how you manage all this stuff.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I tend to use the same login and password for like-"minded" tools, such as the same login for all sites that I shop at, and one for tools like Jott and RTM, and one for photo editing, etc. I'm also exploring an online password/account manager called "Clipperz" to see if something like that might help. If I find a good tool to help with this, I'll be sure to pass it on.